Their story could be anyone’s story.

Jeffrey & Jeannie

Jeannie & Jeffrey Lee Williams

Eleven year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams loved his family and friends, loved technology, and loved helping people. In June of 2013, Jeffrey and his mother Jeannie were on an overnight visit out of town. It wasn’t a long drive from home, but Jeffrey loved staying at hotels – especially hotels with pools. They found a place, but it was late when they arrived. They settled in and started getting ready for bed.

In less than an hour, they were both overcome by silent, odorless, deadly carbon monoxide fumes. Jeannie was discovered the next morning, barely alive, after having been unconscious on the bathroom floor for more than fourteen hours. Jeffrey did not survive.

The room did not have a functioning carbon monoxide detector – a simple device, available for around $20 at any hardware or home improvement store.

The Jeffrey Lee Williams Foundation is a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization with a singular mission: to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s that simple. No one should get sick from carbon monoxide poisoning. No one should die from carbon monoxide poisoning. As long as there are carbon monoxide detectors and places to put them, tragedies like the one experienced by the Williams family can be avoided.

“Losing Jeffrey was not just a loss for our family. A bright, beautiful light that should have been shining in this world for years and years to come, went out that night in the hotel room. Our family’s pain is deep, and our grief will be with us and our community forever. But Jeffrey was always after information. He loved nothing more than to learn something and share it with others. This foundation and our efforts to educate the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning are exactly what Jeffrey would have wanted. His death didn’t have to happen, but if we can save just one life with our message, then something positive will have come out of this tragedy.” – Jeannie Williams